Brunch foods are prit-ty great. But let’s be honest… Bloody Mary’s are right up there. The secret to the best boozy brunch outside of a bomb breakfast spread is a make-your-own-bloody-mary-bar.
Every year, I have a pajama brunch with my girlfriends around the holidays. Yes, we wear pjs, we eat a massive brunch and enjoy some dranks. It’s basically all of my favorite things rolled into one morning. It’s my best day. (My husband is also my favorite, but he sits this one out. No boys allowed).
The key here, in my opinion, is to have just enough stuff, but not SO many accoutrements that you end up with the kitchen sink in your morning cocktail.
The absolute musts:
- Tomato Base of some sort
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Mixture of olive and pickle juice.
- Celery Salt and Pepper
These make up your base. All are musts in my opinion… but I do love these just the same without the vodka, so that one you can take or leave.
The other musts:
- Lemon Wedges
- Cheese and Pepperoni Skewers
- Baby Pickles
- Pickled Green Beans (Not Pictured)
For your tomato base you can use V8, Clamato or make your own mix. (Clamato is bomb. Don’t be scurred).
My friend Lisa is actually the bloody mary queen. The Master, if you will. I should have asked her to guest blog this entry in all seriousness, but since I didn’t I will share with you some of her tricks…. It’s a do it yourself bloody bar, but sometimes a gal needs some direction.
Making the best bloody in 5 easy steps
- Fill your glass with ice.
- Add a shake of Worcestershire sauce, a small spoon of horseradish, a splash of olive/pickle juice, a squeeze of a lemon wedge, a dash of celery salt and some tobasco if you like it spicy. Give it a little shake. (You can also do a celery salt rim if you wanna get fancy).
- Add Vodka (if you want)
- Top off with your tomato juice.
- Add your toppings – celery, pickle, olives, pepperoni skewer, pickled green beans etc.
Voila. Drank up and repeat.